homerecording.be forum

Ga terug   homerecording.be forum > Basisinformatie (home)recording > Beginners-forum

Beginners-forum Een vriendelijke plek waar beginnende homerecorders met hun vragen terechtkunnen. Belangrijk! Lees voor je begint te posten onze "verplichte kost" en "veelgestelde vragen" door. Neem ook de tijd om te zoeken of je vraag al niet eerder beantwoord werd. Als je die moeite doet helpen we je graag verder.

Reageren

LinkBack Discussietools Weergave
Oud 09-04-2017, 12:10

Reputatie: Bad Disciple is op goeie weg
Standaard A "whistling" noise with cable in all my amps !!

I'm sorry for writing in English as I don't speak Dutch but I live in Belgium (the Brussels area) and need local help! I post here not being sure in which other forum discussion my problem would belong...

1. Since some time I've got a "whistling" noise when I plug cables with or without guitar (all three of them) in any of my FOUR amps (three tube and one modeling Line6). Frequency of the noise +/-2,5 kH. I've never had that problem before.
2. To exclude the possibility of interference from a unit, from lights LED, or else, I shut down the power in my house (switching off all the breakers in the service panel) leaving only one wall socket, so absolutely everything disconnected - but the "whistling" is still present !
3. I tested by bringing one amp and a guitar to neighbors in the one and the other end of my neighborhood and the noise is present everywhere !
4. One of the neighbors (a just retired electrician) got the power supply in his place through a transformer (as a filter) and a stabiliser - still the noise was present.
5. That neighbor measured the ground and voltage in my house and they're in good limits: 10 Ohm, 238V. (My house is just 15 years old.)
6. I also tested by going to two other friends' places in different areas further away from me and... NO NOISE over there !!
7. That all suggests that my problem is NOT related to power lines or to grounding, but to an electro-magnetic emission coming from somewhere.
8. I tried passing through a DI box - the "whistling" still present !
9. I borrowed from a friend a wireless system (transmitter on the guitar and receiver on the amp) - the "whistling" still present !
10. I made an XLR mike cable "one-end-bond-shield", so the shield connected to ground from the one end only like sort of a "Faraday cage" for the cable - the "whistling" still present !
11. I was advised and assisted to make a filter with inductions and capacitors corresponding to the frequency of the noise (+/-2.5 kH). That filter was made but... gave no solution - the "whistling" noise IS always present !
12. An interesting detail, when having a guitar plugged, if I turn the Tone Control knob lower, the noise goes weaker till disappearing. So the Tone Control works like filtering it. But then my sound goes too dull which is not what I want. And that's not an acceptable situation.

I'm brought to extreme frustration, as my work is totally blocked. I guess I'll have to bring a qualified electronic tech person to possibly find a solution. Hopefully it won't be extremely expensive...

Any suggestions, advises, or similar experience?

Laatst gewijzigd door Bad Disciple; 09-04-2017 om 12:17
Met citaat reageren
Oud 09-04-2017, 19:29
cyrano's schermafbeelding
Vintage Member

Reputatie: cyrano wordt alom gerespecteerdcyrano wordt alom gerespecteerdcyrano wordt alom gerespecteerdcyrano wordt alom gerespecteerdcyrano wordt alom gerespecteerdcyrano wordt alom gerespecteerdcyrano wordt alom gerespecteerdcyrano wordt alom gerespecteerdcyrano wordt alom gerespecteerdcyrano wordt alom gerespecteerd
Standaard Re: A "whistling" noise with cable in all my amps !!

Interesting

It seems the source is the guitar. I wonder what produces the signal in your home.

I suspect the guitar/amps work wel in another place?
Oud 09-04-2017, 20:46
Vintage Member

Reputatie: bert stoltenborg wordt alom gerespecteerdbert stoltenborg wordt alom gerespecteerdbert stoltenborg wordt alom gerespecteerdbert stoltenborg wordt alom gerespecteerdbert stoltenborg wordt alom gerespecteerdbert stoltenborg wordt alom gerespecteerdbert stoltenborg wordt alom gerespecteerdbert stoltenborg wordt alom gerespecteerd

What guiters?
Single coil picks, or hums?
Met citaat reageren
Oud 09-04-2017, 21:19

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door bert stoltenborg Bekijk bericht
What guiters?
Single coil picks, or hums?
Both single coils, new technology Noiseless single coils AND humbuckers !
The problem as described above is NOT from the guitars, as it comes even from a cable plugged alone in the amp!
Met citaat reageren
Oud 09-04-2017, 21:26

Reputatie: hexdiy is op goeie weg

Indeed, Bert. At the theatre I work in, we have a huge noise issue because of a 15 kV Tramway transformer near our back wall.

This is gaussian induction.

That noise goes away the further you go from the back wall of the stage, or if you orient single coil guitars at 90 to the back wall.

With humbucker pickups, the noise is not present at all!

Annoying but interesting issue...

Bad Disciple, you could always try and run your gig from a big 12V battery and a hefty 12V DC to 230V AC inverter. Not as a permanent solution, but as an experiment.

BTW, do you live near a cellphone transmitter station?

Laatst gewijzigd door hexdiy; 09-04-2017 om 21:30
Met citaat reageren
Oud 09-04-2017, 21:35

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door Bad Disciple Bekijk bericht
Both single coils, new technology Noiseless single coils AND humbuckers !
The problem as described above is NOT from the guitars, as it comes even from a cable plugged alone in the amp!
An open cable in an amp will always tend to be noisy, so that is not an option.
Do you have battery powered preamp or any kind of effect pedal to insert between guitar and amp?
If so, what does it alter as to the noise?
Met citaat reageren
Oud 09-04-2017, 21:38

Citaat:
Oorspronkelijk geplaatst door hexdiy Bekijk bericht
Indeed, Bert. At the theatre I work in, we have a huge noise issue because of a 15 kV Tramway transformer near our back wall.

This is gaussian induction.

That noise goes away the further you go from the back wall of the stage, or if you orient single coil guitars at 90 to the back wall.

With humbucker pickups, the noise is not present at all!

Annoying but interesting issue...

Bad Disciple, you could always try and run your gig from a big 12V battery and a hefty 12V DC to 230V AC inverter. Not as a permanent solution, but as an experiment.

BTW, do you live near a cellphone transmitter station?
Of what I now, there's not any cellphone tower near by. I didn't have that problem some months ago. But the Gaz Company came to dig in our street to bury some installations and I'm suspecting them.

It's true that if I orient my guitar to a certain angle, the noise becomes quite weaker (but still there). As I describe in my posting, it's present everywhere in my residential neighborhood - but it's NOT present in further areas from mine.
Met citaat reageren
Oud 09-04-2017, 21:42

Citaat:
An open cable in an amp will always tend to be noisy, so that is not an option.
Do you have battery powered preamp or any kind of effect pedal to insert between guitar and amp?
If so, what does it alter as to the noise?
True about an open cable, but I NEVER had that problem before, it's just since some months. I suspect some new installation in my neighborhood.

Tomorrow I'll test with a battery powered pedal effect between guitar and amp. But I've tested with one of those battery powered pocket mini amps like the VOX AC3 that you use with headphones for practice - and the noise IS in there! So it definitely is NOT a power line or grounding issue !

Laatst gewijzigd door Bad Disciple; 09-04-2017 om 21:48
Met citaat reageren
Oud 09-04-2017, 21:50

Well, good luck!

( You could also try with ungrounding some of your gear, but, especially with tube amps, this may prove dangerous.)
Scrap the above, since you have tested with a battery-powered amp. You could try, however, to ground the sleeving of your TS guitar cable.

Or try a guitar with an active, balanced pickup ( = preamp built straight into the guitar) on XLR 3 straight into a mixer.

BTW, have you used a passive or active DI?

Your neighbour has in fact already tried the best possible remedy, an ultra-isolation transformer.

Laatst gewijzigd door hexdiy; 09-04-2017 om 21:57
Met citaat reageren
Oud 09-04-2017, 21:53

Citaat:
Well, good luck!

You could also try with ungrounding some of your gear, but, especially with tube amps, this may prove dangerous.

BTW, have you used a passive or active DI?

Your neighbour has in fact already tried the best possible remedy, an ultra-isolation transformer.
The DI box is active.

Another test I just made... I tested with one of those battery powered pocket mini amps like the VOX AC3 that you use with headphones for practice - and the noise IS in there! I had forgotten that one! So it definitely is NOT a power line or grounding issue !
Met citaat reageren
Reageren

Discussietools
Weergave

Regels voor berichten